« Home | Review: Paris, je t'aime » | Bumper Film Review Post » | Review: Dreamgirls » | Trailer: Evening » | News » | Jessica Goes Mainstream: A Daring Experiment » | Here, as promised, is the article I wrote for my u... » | Trailer: Paris, Je T'aime » | The Guardian recently counted down their readers' ... » | News »

Review: Empire Records



At this rate I'm going to run out of superlatives by the end of the week, because I've just discovered yet another favourite film. I can't believe this film has existed for the last 12 years and no-one thought to make me watch it, when it is so clearly one of the best films of the 90s. I'm not sure anything can oust Clueless as my fave 90s comedy, but it's definitely up with The Brady Bunch Movie.



I loved all of the characters in this film, especially Lucas, AJ, Eddie, Mark and Gina. Lucas was like Pacey from Dawson's Creek with a little of Seth Cohen's humour, so I wonder if either of those characters were inspired by him. AJ was adorably sweet and looked like Kavana did in the 90s, which is definitely a good look. Eddie and Mark reminded me extremely of some lovely friends of mine, and Eddie also made me want to watch White Oleander again because Patrick Fugit's character looks just like him. Gina is played by Renée Zellweger, and while I do like Renée as an adult actress, as a teenage character (although she was actually 26 in 1995) she was exceedingly ace.



Not very much happens in this film - in fact, it's all set within one day, but it's the strength of characters and humour which make it brilliant. Personally I prefer films like this, because although a fast-moving, exciting film can be thoroughly enjoyable, I find that a film with great characters and a general good vibe will stick with me and be fun to watch again and again. If a film is just about the plot's twists and turns, then once you've seen it once or twice it's too predictable and holds no interest. A film like this will never run out, and I am off to buy my copy right away. If you haven't seen it I suggest you do the same, or just search for it on YouTube because the whole movie is there!